How to Make Rose Water
If you want to make your own cosmetics, learning how to prepare home-made rose water is essential ! It has a great smell, wonderful properties and it is very easy to make.
To prepare 100 ml of rose water, all you need is:
- 3 or 4 fresh roses (make sure they are free of any chemicals).
- 100 ml of distilled water
- 1 glass spray bottle (have it boiled to desinfect it).
Making the Rose Water
- Gently tear the petals off the roses and wash them to remove any impurity.
- Prepare 100 ml of distilled water (alternatively, you may buy bottled distilled water). In the video at the end of the post I show you how to proceed.
- When the distilled water is ready, put it in a pan and add the rose petals. Leave it on a very low flame for a minute or two, then remove from the stove and let it cool down.
- Filter the water with a fine strainer or a tea infuser. Do not hesitate to squeeze the petals with a clean utensil to extract the juice.
- Pour the rose water in a 100 ml clean flask. Keep in the fridge for about 10 days.
Another way to prepare rose water is to insert the petals directly in the boiling water while distilling it.
Using rose water on your skin
Rose flower has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It helps reduce bleeding and sooth inflammation, thanks to its astringent and cooling qualities. It is beneficial to all types of skins, whether oily, dry, sensitive, irritated, mature, or prone to acne. Its pleasant fragrance opens the mind and the heat and promotes emotional well-being.
There are many ways of using rose water on your skin :
- Face cleanser : tap water tends to be too hard and alkaline in comparison with the pH of our skin which is naturally acidic in order to keep the germs away. Using rose water instead maintains the skin’s natural balance.
- Make-up remover : you can mix it with a few drops of almond oil.
- Skin toner : it will leave your skin glowing and energized.
- Clearing blemishes : adding a few drops of lemon will be even more effective.
- Face freshnener: keeping it in the fridge adds to this nice freshening effect, especially on the eyes area.
Enjoy the rose-water experience. Your skin and your mind will love it !